Hohen Schönau, Kr. Naugard, Pomerania (Jenikowo, Poland)
The village where David and Friederike Maass lived and raised their family after about 1856.
In 1939, this village had about 357 inhabitants.
Click on images for an enlarged view
A 1920 postcard from Hohenschönau Entering Hohen Schönau (Sept 2003)
showing the church, parsonage and
WWI memorial (courtesy of Wolfgang Braatz)
Church in Hohen Schönau
Many members of the Maass family were baptized, confirmed, and married in the Evangelical Church
in Hohen Schönau. However, it appears that only the bell tower remains from their time, the current brick
sanctuary was built in the 1890's. David, Friederike and several of their grandchildren died in Hohen Schönau
and would have been buried in the church cemetery which has since been obliterated.
View of the Church from the back Church parsonage
A 19th century house as viewed from the street and the side.
Below is a barn from the same vintage that stands across the yard from the house.
David Maass Biography
Maas Family History
1999 Trip Report
2001 Trip Report
Table of Contents
© - Gene Maas
rev. Feb 2010